Monday, July 11, 2011

Who doesn't love Dr. Seuss??

So over the last week I've had the opportunity to create a baby shower cake and cookies for my sister-in-law and brother who are expecting their first child, a little boy, in about a month, and I have to say I'm so excited to meet my new nephew!!!!  The baby shower was this past weekend and was so cute.  We had a lot of really creative people helping out and it turned out great!

That being said, I've been researching Dr. Seuss cakes for about a month and found so many great ideas.  I loved certain components of several cakes and decided to combine them into one.  The cake is mostly based off of a cake I saw by brea1026 on cakecentral.com that really embodied the essence of Dr. Seuss...so creative!  http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1360574  I love the truffula trees and the landscape!

I also wanted to incorporate a saying from Dr. Seuss on the cake so I decided to replace the clothes line with the quotes, which I must say took me forever to decide to actually put food pen to cake, because once I started, that was it!  It turned out really cute though and I was so relieved!

Putting this cake together was quite the learning process as well.  The bottom layer went together so smoothly.  Fondant went on without a hitch, no bubbles, all decorations went on and looked great.  THEN came the top layer which you will notice doesn't have a lot going on.  I had made some marshmallow fondant, a recipe I got from LilaLoa, which always turns out great.  I had colored the fondant the night before and I could tell that the texture of the red was changing because I was adding so much gel.  I was hoping it would settle overnight and there would be no issues...well, I was wrong, very, very wrong!   I didn't realize red was so hard to deal with.  It kept cracking and basically falling apart, nothing I could do but throw it away.  I didn't have time to make more so off to Michael's I went to buy Duff's pre-colored fondant, which is $20!!!  But in that instant it was the greatest thing ever and it is actually really good!

Other things I learned this time around...I need to set my supports higher so the top layer doesn't sink, I need to tint my fondant before starting to color it red and chilling the cake is the key to success!!  All in all the cake turned out really cute and I was so happy my SIL loved it:)  Well, after all of that, here is the cake and cookies too.  I think it's my favorite project so far!



No comments:

Post a Comment